Monday, November 21, 2011

Triage is the name of the game!

Last weekend was extremely busy at the ER.  Multiple critical cases,  mostly with positive outcomes, but of course some sad ones came through, too.

Out of all the chaos, the one call that I just can't understand  -

The phone rings.  My technician answers -

Caller: "Hi, I have a dog who's acting wierd.  I need you to guarantee me that if I come in right now, I will be seen immediately."

Tech: "Well, sir, we'd be happy to take a look.  We are an emergency room, and we're experiencing very high case loads right now, so a wait time does exist.  When you arrive, a technician will triage your pet, obtain vitals, and if your pet is deemed stable, they will have to wait in line.  The most critical cases have to be seen first, just like the human ER."

Caller: "NO!!!  I demand that if I come in to see you, I WILL BE SEEN RIGHT AWAY!"

Tech: "Sir, what symptoms is your dog experiencing?"

Caller: "He's just acting weird, and I... I can't explain it.  He's still eating and drinking normally."

Tech: "Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?"

Caller: "No. But I WILL NOT WAIT!  If I come, you have to promise me I'll be seen without waiting!"

Tech: "I'm sorry sir, but there's no way I can tell you that.  Your dog sounds stable, but we are happy to take a look.  If your pet is stable, you'll have to wait your turn to see the doctor.  There are several people here waiting right now."

Caller: "FINE!  YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ANIMALS!"

**Hangs up.

WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment